This healthy flexitarian butternut squash, chicken and cashews recipe serves 2, and is ready in 45 minutes or so.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 ½ cups of water
- ½ tablespoon of fresh thyme (the leaves only), or a sprinkle of dried thyme
- ½ cup of cashews, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat, and cook stirring often the chicken for about 2 minutes.
Add the butternut squash, onion, carrot and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more stirring well for all the vegetables to catch the oil.
Add the water and thyme. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer covered for about 10 minutes or until the butternut squash softens.
Add the cashews. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for another 5 minutes. And serve!
I adapted this recipe from Abel & Cole’s “Gardener’s chicken with pumpkin and walnuts” published in their 2008 cookbook.