This is a healthy vegetarian soup serving 2. This lentil and potato soup is ready in 40 minutes or so.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme (the leaves only)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary (the leaves only), chopped
- 6 cups of water, divided
- ¼ cup of dried green or brown lentils, picked and rinsed
In a cooking pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, potato, onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary. Stirring often, cook until the onion is soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer covered until the potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes.
In the meantime, bring a pan with 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils, turn down the heat and simmer covered for about 25 minutes, until the lentils are tender and no longer crunchy. Strain and set aside.
When the potatoes are cooked, remove the cooking pot from the heat, and carefully blend the soup with a stick blender – or a blender/food processor (bring back the soup to the cooking pot after blending). Stir in the cooked lentils. Taste the soup, and add more pepper and salt if needed. Cook a few minutes more until the soup is slightly thicker and hot through, and serve.