Wondering what to do with a butternut squash? You can use it to make a healthy vegetarian chili. The quantities in the recipe here serve 2 (with some leftover). This chili con butternut squash is ready in 55 minutes or so. It’s a great meatless meal!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (for a moderately spiced taste. Use more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 cups of water
- 1 x 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon of dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups of cooked and drained black or red kidney beans (from tin, frozen or prepared from scratch)
- 1 thumbnail-size piece of dark chocolate
Heat the olive oil in a medium cooking pot over medium-high heat. Add the butternut squash, onion, red bell pepper, carrot, and garlic. Stir in the crushed red pepper flakes, paprika and cumin. Stirring often, cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
Cover with the water. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and its juice, tomato paste, and marjoram. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender. Add the beans and dark chocolate, and simmer uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
Serve with sour cream, rice or tortilla, and avocado.