This healthy flexitarian chicken and prawn paella style is protein-loaded. It is high in vitamin A, vitamin C and dietary fibres. The brown rice is a very good source of manganese, and a good source of selenium. This dish also provides phosphorus, copper, magnesium, vitamin B3 (niacin) and vitamin B6.
The quantities here are for 2 people. It is ready in 55 minutes or so.
- 1 cup of frozen prawns, defrosted and shelled (about 100 g of defrosted prawns)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts (about 300 g), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 3 tablespoon of frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup of basmati brown rice, rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 dose of saffron powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 cups of hot water
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ½ fresh lemon, cut into wedges
In a cooking pot over high heat, cook the prawns for a few minutes to remove the excess water. Remove them from the cooking pot, and reserve.
In the same cooking pot, add the olive oil, chicken, onion, red pepper, peas, crushed garlic and rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stirring often, cook for about 7 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and the onion is soft and translucent.
Stir in the saffron and paprika. Cover with 2 cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat, add the tomatoes and prawns, and simmer covered for about 30-35 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and has fully absorbed the water.
Before serving decorate with fresh lemon wedges, and serve!