This red lentil and sweet potato stew is a healthy meal rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, dietary fibres and protein. It is also a good source of B vitamins, iron and potassium. The quantities in the recipe here serves 2 (262 calories per serving), and is ready in 35 minutes or so.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup of dried red lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, germ removed and chopped
- 5 cups of hot water
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 200 g), peeled and diced rather small
- 1 medium courgette (about 200 g), peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a cooking pot over medium-high heat, and cook the onion until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the lentils and garlic, and cover with the hot water. Add the sweet potato, courgette and ginger. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer covered for 20 minutes or until the lentils and sweet potatoes are cooked and tender.
Let it cool for a few minutes before serving!