The Arab-Israeli salad is a simple, healthy vegetable salad, ready in no time. It is good with almost everything. Hummus, labne, tahina, omelet, toast, oven grilled chicken… This salad is a quick fix to get or supplement the daily intake of fresh vegetables.
The quantity in the recipe here are for 2.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Juice of half a freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes, diced into small cubes
- 1 large seedless cucumber or 2 medium ones, ends trimmed, and diced into small cubes (the Mediterranean cucumber – picture after the recipe, is the type of cucumber found commonly here. These cucumbers are typically about 15 cm long, nearly seedless and are eaten unpeeled. I find them easy to digest.)
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley and/or coriander (optional), the leaves only, finely chopped
In a serving bowl, mix the olive oil and lemon juice. Add the tomato, cucumber and onion (and the fresh herbs if used). Season with salt, and toss well to combine. And serve!