It’s Meatless Monday with these vegetarian quinoa, leek and carrot cakes!
The quantities here make 8-9 cakes (it’s about 3-4 servings). These veggie cakes are ready in 35 minutes or so.
- ¼ cup of dry quinoa (about 100g)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 1 small leek, peeled and cut into thin stripes
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin stripes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
In a fine mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa under running cold water, rubbing the seeds with the hand in order to remove the coating – the saponin. Boil the quinoa in salted water for 15 minutes. Drain and reserve.
In a frying pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the leek, carrot, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stirring often, cook for 10 minutes until the leek and carrot are tender.
Transfer the vegetable to mixing bowl. Add the quinoa, coriander, and the two eggs. Using two spoons, toss well until combined.
Divide the mixture into 8-9 equal parts, and using a tablespoon create some flat, round cakes.
In the frying pan over high heat, spread ½ tablespoon of olive oil and cook 4 cakes 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. And repeat for the remaining cakes.