Meatless Monday: Spicy fava beans & spinach
A simple and tasty vegetarian beans recipe for Meatless Monday.
The quantities here are for 2-3 people. It’s ready in 35 minutes or so.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes (about 250 gr), diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper flakes
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of cooked fava beans. If from tin, rinsed and drained. If dried beans are used (1 cup), see here how to cook dried beans.
- 1 tablespoon of raisins (about 20)
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
In a cooking pot (I use a heavy pot) over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, tomato, garlic, cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, clove and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is jammy, about 4-5 minutes.
Cover with the water, add salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Add the beans and raisins, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the spinach (push them with a spoon in the liquid) and cook 4 minutes more.
Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.