With an extremely high water content, watermelon is a juicy and refreshing fruit. This watermelon, sirene and basil salad is a bit of a dessert salad, and I love it as a main dish for a light summer lunch.
The quantities in the recipe here are for 2-3 people (as a main dish). It’s ready in less than 15 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of half a freshly squeezed lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups of rocket
- 3 cups of diced (into bite-sized chunks) ripe watermelon
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- ¾ cup (about 100 g) of diced sirene (Bulgarian white cheese)
In a large serving bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice until smooth. Add the onion, rocket, watermelon, basil, and sirene. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well, and serve!