Today I would like to share a simple vegetarian recipe. There’s nothing complicated here – just some pasta, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil. It’s tasty, fulfilling, and is ready in 25 minutes, which makes it a great meatless meal.
The quantities in the recipe are for 2.
- 1 ½ to 2 cups (150 g to 200 g) of dry (whole wheat or not) penne rigate pasta
- 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 small handful of fresh basil, julienned
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Over high heat, bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook according to package instructions, or until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside covered to keep the heat.
In the meantime, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the tomato and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and stirring very often, cook until the tomato is soft and the sauce fragrant.
Add the tomato sauce, ½ tablespoon of olive oil and the basil to the cooked pasta, and toss well. Serve at once with freshly grated Parmesan!