Back from France, and back to work! I prepared this bell pepper and quinoa salad for Meatless Monday.
This healthy, vegetarian salad is for 2. It’s ready in 50 minutes or so.
- ½ cup of quinoa (I use red one as it makes the salad more colourful)
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of half a freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 bell pepper (I used ½ green bell pepper and ½ a yellow one), deseeded and diced
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (I used yellow and red ones) cut into quarters
- A handful of coriander leaves
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
First, cook the quinoa: in a fine mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa under running cold water, rubbing the seeds with the hand in order to remove the coating. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the quinoa. Stirring constantly, let the water evaporate and toast the quinoa for a few minutes until it makes a popping sound and begins to smell fragrant. Add the water and salt, bring to a boil, turn down the heat to medium, and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, and without opening the lid, let it rest covered for 5 minutes. When done, fluff the quinoa with a fork, and let it cool uncovered for 10 minutes or so.
In the meantime, prepare your vegetables.
Then, in a large serving bowl, combine the olive oil and lemon juice. Add the bell pepper, cherry tomato, quinoa, coriander leaves, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, and toss well. Taste, and add more salt if needed, and enjoy!