Here is a lovely recipe adapted from Once a month meals. These oat and jam cookies are great and convenient for breakfast. They are easy to make, and you can use your favourite jam flavour. I think next time I will try with fig jam.
The quantities in the recipe here make 12 cookies. They are ready in 45 minutes or so.
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup of fine rolled oats
- ¾ cup of whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup of plain flour
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup of Demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 12 teaspoons of jam (I made the cookies here with a blueberry jam. I also tried with blackberry and apricot jams, and they were also great.)
Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
Brush each cup of a regular 12-cup muffin pan with a bit of melted butter, and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, whole wheat flour, plain flour, flaxseed, and Demerara sugar. Stir in the butter and vanilla extract, and mix well until there are no dry ingredients left.
Fill the cups with half of the batter and press. Then spoon 1 teaspoon of jam in the centre of each cup, top up with the remaining batter, and press to seal.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until slightly golden. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes, then invert the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.
When cooled, store in a food container in the fridge.