It has been raining a lot here lately. In a matter of minutes the sky turns dark, and then start the downpours, quickly flooding the streets… In need of comfort food, I made this veggie pie for Meatless Monday. And this vegetarian pie with sweet potatoes (also great with regular potatoes) is for sure the queen of (healthy) comfort food!
The quantities here are for 2-3 people. It’s ready in 50 minutes or so.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced (about ½ cup)
- 1 cup of peas (I use frozen ones, rinsed under cold running water)
- ½ small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 cups of sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Optional: butter, milk
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Optional: grated cheese
Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
In the meantime: in a cooking pot over high heat, add the olive oil, carrot, celery, peas, onion, garlic, and thyme, and sauté stirring often for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, tomato paste, and flour. Mix well, adding 1 ½ cups of water slowly. Stir in the ketchup and Dijon mustard, season with salt and pepper, and simmer uncovered for 7 minutes, until reduced. Remove from the heat, and spread evenly the veggie mixture into a medium ovenproof dish (the one I use is 26 x 17 cm). Set aside.
When the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain the water, and mash them with a fork. Stir in the nutmeg (and a bit of butter and milk if used). Spoon the mashed potato above the veggie mixture, using the back of the spoon to smooth the top. Spray some olive oil (or sprinkle some grated cheese if used), and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the pie is set and the veggie mixture bubbling. Let it rest out of the oven for 5 minutes before eating. And enjoy!