It’s always nice to taste something different. So I made this dairy-free cream cheese even though we are not vegan/vegetarian. Made from raw cashews, it is seasoned with garlic and fresh chives, the nutritional yeast bringing the “cheesy” flavour.
The quantities in the recipe serve 2-4 people. It’s ready in 10 minutes or so + 4 hours of soaking time
- 1 cup of raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- ½ teaspoon of salt (I use Himalayan salt)
- 2 pinches of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
In the food processor, add the cashews, lemon juice, water, white wine vinegar, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt and pepper, and blend for a full 4 minutes, scrapping the sides of the bowl every minute or so.
Transfer the cashew mixture to a serving bowl and stir in the chives. Store in an airtight container in the fridge, and eat within 5 days. Enjoy this cream cheese with some toasted bread!
Alternatively, to shape the cheese: strain the cashew mixture through a cheesecloth placed in a colander above a mixing bowl, and keep in the fridge overnight (the cashew mixture will become a bit more compact and will keep its shape – as on the picture).
Adapted from Blissfully Basil