This is the vegetarian recipe I made for Meatless Monday. Simple to prepare, this soup is yummy and healthy. Indeed, beetroot is an excellent source of folate, and a very good one for manganese, potassium and copper. It’s also a good source of dietary fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin C, iron and vitamin B6.
The quantities in the recipe here are for 2-3 people. This soup is ready in 70 minutes or so.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 raw beetroots, peeled and diced into 1-cm cubes (about 4 cups)
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups of water + more if needed
- A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 100 g (about ⅔ cup) of feta cheese, crumbled
In a cooking pot over high heat, add the olive oil, beetroot, onion and garlic, and cook stirring often for about 7-8 minutes, until the onion is slightly translucent and the beetroot fragrant. Cover with 4 cups of water, and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer covered until the beetroot is cooked and tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove from the heat, and carefully blend the soup with a stick blender – or a blender/food processor (bring back the soup to the cooking pot after blending). Taste the soup, season with pepper, and more salt if needed. Add more water if the soup is too thick, and reheat until just hot. Before serving, garnish with the parsley and the feta cheese, and eat at once!