I prepared for Meatless Monday this simple healthy winter soup with some fresh kale, fresh sweet potato, and canned chickpeas. This heartwarming vegetarian dish is ready in 35 minutes or so.
The quantities in the recipe here are for 2-3 people.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 cups of shredded kale leaves
- 5 cups of water
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of precooked chickpeas (I used canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon of dried coriander (or 1 handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped)
- 1 pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon of salt (I use Himalayan salt)
In a cooking pot over high heat, add the olive oil, onion and garlic, and cook for 4 minutes stirring often. Add the kale and cook for 2 minutes until wilted. Cover with 5 cups of water, and add the sweet potato, chickpea, coriander, cayenne pepper and bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to medium-high, and simmer covered until the sweet potato is tender, about 15 minutes.