I bought last week many raw beetroots on promotion. So most of this week recipes will probably involve beetroots in one form or another, starting with this colourful raw beetroot and chickpea hummus :) Have a great week!
The quantities here are for 2-3 people. It’s ready in less than 20 minutes.
- 1 medium raw beetroot, peeled and diced
- ½ cup of water
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas (if from a can: drained and rinsed under cold running water)
- Juice of half a freshly squeezed lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin
In the food processor, add the beetroot and water, and blend until purée, scrapping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, tahini, ground cumin and salt to taste. Blend again until smooth. Transfer the beetroot hummus to a serving dish. Optional: before serving, drizzle some olive oil.
I serve this beetroot hummus with some toasted fresh whole grains bread.