In preparation for my Meatless Monday recipe, I made last week this coconut soup with bok choy, sweet potato, courgette, bell pepper… I added some noodles to make it a one-plate fulfilling meal. It was yummy and heartwarming, so here is the recipe!
The quantities in the recipe serve 2-3 people. It’s ready in 40 minutes or so.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ orange bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 small red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large spring onion, chopped
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 baby bok choy, coarsely chopped
- 1 small courgette, peeled if thick skin, and diced
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 cups of water
- 150 g of dried noodles (I used udon noodles)
- Juice of a freshly squeezed lemon
- A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
In a cooking pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, bell pepper, chili pepper, garlic, spring onion, ginger, lemongrass, coriander seeds and cumin seeds, and cook for 4 minutes stirring often.
Add the sweet potato, boy choy and courgette, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook stirring often for 4 minutes more.
Cover with the coconut milk and water. Bring to a light boil, reduced the heat to medium, and simmer covered until the sweet potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
In the meantime: boil the noodles in salted water according to the package directions. Drain and reserve.
When the sweet potato is tender: stir the noodles, lemon juice and parsley into the soup, taste the soup and add more salt and pepper if needed, and cook for 2 minutes more. And serve!